Jan 27, 2020

Collecting log: Top 3 collectible acquisitions in 2019
(Part 2 of 3)

Here is the second post of the subject introducing a collectible 12" single from the mid-1980s, which is a part of the twin vinyls of two different colors (I got one years ago, but not the other until recently). Although the remaining one had long been on my want list, I never hurried to get a copy of this until I found a reasonably priced one (and I did last year). In my opinion, these unique releases would explain why vinyl records can still be a lot of fun to collect. If interested, here are links to Part 1 and Part 3.

Two colors are better than one. The rarer green version now in my collection after 36 years of its release in Mexico that is the only Latin American country I have visited before in my life (just once).
 
#2: Dancing In The Dark Mexican remix 12" emerald green vinyl record (CBS BS-35051)
You can look, but you better not play ...
As already covered previously (2015/04/19), this 12" dance remix was created by the electronic music pioneer Arthur Baker with no or little input from Springsteen. Aside from the music content, what is important with this record (the Mexican pressing only) is that it represents his first ever official colored-vinyl release back in 1984, or the second ever following the Colombian LP version of BORN IN THE U.S.A. (CBS 141761). With the recent revival of vinyl records, it is a trend that new releases are pressed not only on black vinyl, but often also on a selection of colored vinyl in limited quantities (i.e. GREATEST HITS Record Store Day 2018 reissue, CHAPTER AND VERSE, and studio and film versions of WESTERN STARS ). Back in old days, however, colored vinyls were extremely rare for Springsteen's records unless they were bootleg.
 
Unexpectedly, matrix-number handetchings 
differ on Side A whereas those on Side B are
identical between the two editions. Based on
the handwritting style, a single same sound
engineer perhaps cut all sides of the two discs.
For this remix, the Mexican branch of CBS Records has released two different versions of 12" singles pressed on semi-transparent red (04/19/2015) or green vinyl, with the latter being rarer and more highly valued. For example, current Discogs statistics data show that the red and green records have been sold at US $35.00 and $200.00, respectively, at the bottom price. So, while I had long considered the green one to be the best-looking among all his official colored vinyls pressed so far, until recently, I was just not able to localize a copy with a reasonable price. Interestingly, having obtained the green disc, I found that the suffix code of Side A matrix number differs from that of the red edition, as shown below (-1A versus -1C ).

Green wax version
  • Side A:   50-52-8158-1A
  • Side B:   50-52-8159-1A
Red wax version
  • Side A:   50-52-8158-1C
  • Side B:   50-52-8159-1A

This trivial fact may indicate that the green vinyl is the first or earlier pressing of the two, which could be a reason explaining why this color is rarer. I don't know if there exists yet another vinyl pressing with the matrix number suffix -1B on Side A.

Now I'm very happy to have gotten that emerald green which is simply brilliant!  The only displeasure with this is the remixed music on the vinyl disc that has kept me away from playing it on my turntable.
By the way, my most played colored vinyl for the past months is WESTERN STARS that is simply terrific. In fact, since its release last June, I've continued to listen to the album. I really like an awesome wilderness the LP sound evokes.
— The last collectible acquisition post soon to follow.


No comments :

Post a Comment