Dec 9, 2014

Incident On 57th Street (live): Which is the best sounding disc?

LIVE 1975/85 poster issued by CBS/Sony in Japan
with track listing on the right-hand side
About three decades ago, like many hardcore fans, I was also the one who was disappointed at the first glance of the track listing of LIVE 1975/85. I well remember that sometime September or October 1986, at an import record shop frequently visited back then, I stood straight and stiff in front of the huge poster on the wall that announces the forthcoming release of the 5-LP box set, checking thrice, forth, or even fifth, the complete 40-live tracks on the album. Despite repeated attempts, I was not able to find on the list, from my viewpoint, what should have been included in the extraordinarily anticipated live album.

One of the legendary bootlegs ...
Incident On 57th Street (live) was one of such missing tracks that is fortunately released later as a B-side of Fire 7" in the US and of the maxi 12" single War in Europe and Mexico. The 12” vinyl and CD EP containing this track are also pressed in Japan with the tracklist being different from the other related issues. Until the track list was available, I had confidently believed that this song would be on the LIVE album that must be the version from Main Point (February 5th, 1975), because of countless listening to this particular performance on the classic vinyl bootleg YOU CAN TRUST YOUR CAR TO THE MAN WHO WEARS THE STAR. So, it was a total surprise to me when I knew that the released version was a full-band electric performance at Nassau Coliseum (December 29th, 1980) that had, up till that point, never circulated on any bootleg (that was the only source for me back then to be able to listen to unreleased material). However, what turned out to be was that, in my opinion, this particular recording is one of the best live tracks among his entire catalog that have been released officially.

So far the best sounding Incident (live)
from my view.
One thing I have long thought about Incident (live) is its sound. As mentioned above, this track has been issued in three different formats, 7", 12" and CD. The US 7" disc is often mentioned among general vinyl collectors as the longest 7" ever pressed, running over 10 min. Needless to say, this seriously affects the sound quality. Even worse, one of my two turntables (cheaper one) no longer traces the vinyl correctly, with skips and surface noise. It's quite hard to understand why the Columbia US has decided to press one of the longest recording, if not the longest, in the history of the 7" or 45 rpm record (except for the purpose of cost cutting). By contrast, and obviously, one can expect much more excellent sound for the other two formats. The majority would argue that the CD version is better, but to my ears, the UK 12" sounds fabulous. I feel that the 12" vinyl sounds more dynamic and louder than the CD counterpart which is modest in comparison. So, for me, this UK pressing is one of the essential 12" in both sound and performance (I have no idea about the other 12" pressed in Holland because I do not own it).


No comments :

Post a Comment