May 3, 2017

Classic Vinyl Bootleg Revisited: PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE 3LP box (Update 1)

According to Hobbes, sold at $25 back in old days
(see his comment to this blog)

First of all, thank you so much for recent comments on some topics and private messages (PM) directed to me after the last blog was up on this site. I feel sorry for not being able to respond to most of them by posting new blogs, just because I'm having a flood of work that still pulls me away from blogging. Since I started this site, I've tried to write at least once a month (and did so). This time, however, I just couldn't do that. As a result, there was no update last month. Now I'm recovering from overwork, but I think I still need some time for restoring normal activity. Anyway, here's a short note in response to a recent comment and a PM regarding PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE from two fellow collectors.

Two different labels used for this classic bootleg. Found on each deadwax space is the same hand-etched matrix code "SPRING-A" for Record 1/Side A. The total playing time of this side exceeds the normal length, which results in a very narrow deadwax space (about 4 mm in width). I remember because of this, my full-auto turntable was not able to play to the end of Independence Day, the final track on this side, lifting automatically up the needle during the outro before the performed song was completed. Back then, I didn't own a manual turntable and it was later that I was able to listen to the complete performance of this then-unreleased tune.
More than a year ago, I wrote about this classic 3LP bootleg in four consecutive blogs (the first one is here), which drew some attention from those who still love and/or collect old vinyl Brucelegs. Compiling the information recently posted by Hobbes (= Mr. "D" as you can find elsewhere in the relevant blog topics) and sent via PM from Karl, plus my own web research, here I updated the summary table for this box set that has been shown here previously. This update does not change or modify the conclusion made in this site as to "Which is the first" issue, that the generic yellow label version first came out and then the custom Slipped Disc label edition followed. As you can see on the table below, the yellow labels are not only used for earlier copies with less than 1000's numbers, but also found in later issues with 2000's and 3000's numbers. On the other hand, thus far in this research, the Slipped Disc labels are never associated with the earlier copies (up to #1000), which is the basis to support the conclusion.

What is interesting to me is that there still aren't any duplicate copies on the list that share a same limited number. I remember back in the early 1990's, through e-mail communications with a very famous vinyl Bootlegger in California, I was told by him: "Don't trust those numbers on numbered boxed sets." However, as far as being used as a measure to deduce the chronological order of the two different versions, these limited numbers seem to be trustable.

*Two corners round; **all corners round. Check here for a few examples of number-stamped stickers.
***Generic yellow for Discs 1 & 3; Slipped Disc for Disc 2.

No comments :

Post a Comment